Sunday, 6 January 2013
Linzer Cookie Tarts
Courtesy of Betty Crocker Holiday Baking Magazine
- 1 pouch sugar cookie mix
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/3 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 375F. In large bowl, stir cookie mix and almonds. Stir in butter, almond extract and egg until stiff dough forms.
2. On floured surface, roll half of dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut with 2-inch round, fluted, or star cookie cutter. On ungreased cookie sheet, place cookies 2 inches apart.
3. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until set. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, on floured surface, roll other half of dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut with linzer cutter with hole in center, OR cut with same 2-inch round cookie cutter and use small 1-inch cutter to cut round hole out of center of each cookie. On ungreased cookie sheet, place cookies 2 inches apart.
5. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until set. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely.
6. Spread 1 tsp. jam on bottom of each whole cookie; top each with cutout cookie to make sandwich cookie. In small microwaveable bowl, microwave chocolate chips uncovered on high about 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds, until melted and stirred smooth. Using tips of fork or knife, drizzle chocolate in lines over cookies. Let stand until chocolate is set, about 45 minutes. Or, sprinkle with powdered sugar instead of drizzling with chocolate. Store between sheets of waxed paper in tightly covered container.