Recipe Courtesy of Thibeault's Table
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup lard (or shortening)
- 5 to 6 tbsp. of ice water, or more as needed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- pinch of salt
1. Mix flour with salt, and cut in butter and lard.
2. Put flour mixture in bowl and add water mixing with a fork until pastry comes together. Tip out onto a floured surface. Quickly pat out and fold, a few times. Form a ball and cut in two pieces. Form each into a round flat disc and refrigerate for 1 hour.
1. In bowl, whisk together brown sugar, corn syrup, egg, butter, vanilla, vinegar and salt until blended; set aside.
On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 3mm thickness. Using a round cookie cutter, cut out circles, rerolling scraps if necessary.
Fit into muffin cups.
Spoon in filling until three-quarters full. If using raisins or nuts sprinkle in the bottom of shells.
Bake at 450F until filling is puffed and bubbly and pastry is golden, about 12 minutes. Let stand on rack for 1 minute. Run metal spatula around tarts to loosen; carefully slide spatula under tarts and transfer to rack to let cool.