Wednesday, 21 March 2012
Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Courtesy of Martha Stewart
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter a 13 by 9 inch baking dish; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and macaroni. Cook according to package directions. Drain, and return to pot. Add butter, and toss until pasta is coated and butter has melted; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, and eggs. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper; set aside. In another medium bowl, combine cheeses; set aside.
3. Place 1/3 macaroni in an even layer in the bottom of prepared baking dish; cover evenly with 1/3 cheese. Repeat with remaining macaroni and cheese mixture. Pour milk mixture evenly over contents of baking dish. Bake until top layer is lightly browned, 35 to 45 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutres before serving.
**I prepared the dish ahead and kept it in the fridge, until the next day.