Sunday, 2 October 2011
Glazed Apple Pie Squares
Courtesy of Taste of Home
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, seperated
- 3 to 4 tbsp. milk
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 9 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 10 medium)
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tbsp. milk
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a measuring cup, combine egg yolk and enough milk to measure 1/3 cup. Gradually add to the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
2. Divide dough in half. Roll one portion into a thin 15x10 inch rectangle. Transfer to the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Sprinkle with cornflakes. In a large bowl, combine the apples, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Spoon over crust.
3. Roll remaining dough into a thin 15x10 inch rectangle; place over apple filling. Beat egg white; brush over pastry. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
4. For glaze, combine icing sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm pastry. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares.