Tuesday, 27 December 2011
Confetti Caramel Bars
Courtesy of the Betty Crocker Christmas Cookbook
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups assorted candies (I used Christmas M&Ms)
1. Heat oven to 350 F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, 1 cup butter, the vanilla and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour. Press evenly in bottom of ungreased 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until light brown. Cool 20 minutes.
2. In saucepan, heat corn syrup, 2 tbsp. butter and the butterscotch chips over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chips are melted; remove from heat. Cool 10 minutes.
3. Spread butterscotch mixture over crust. Sprinkle with candies; gently press into butterscotch mixture. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours until butterscotch mixture is firm. For bars, cut into 8 rows by 4 rows.