As promised, here is the recipe for the cookies that I made for my Cookie Swap.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg white, divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 pkg. (100g) ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp. each red and green food colouring
1. Using an electric mixer cream together butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then beat in egg. Scrape down sides of bowl. Beat in milk, almond and vanilla extracts and salt. Gradually add flour and ground almonds, mixing until soft dough forms.
2. Divide dough into 3 equal portions, each in its own bowl. Leave one plain, tint the second with green food colouring and the third with red. Mix in colourings thoroughly. Cover each dough with plastic wrap and chill until firm and no longer sticky, about 45 minutes.
3. Cut 3 pieces of parchment paper at least 10x12 in. in size. Using a floured rolling pin, roll each dough into 7x9 in. rectangle, approx. 1/8 in. thick. Chill dough, still on parchment, on baking sheets until firm.
4. In a small bowl, beat egg white. To layer, place red dough (still on parchment) on work surface and brush with egg white. Lining up the edges, invert plain dough onto red one and peel off parchment paper. Brush with egg white and invert green dough on top, again peeling away parchment. Use sharp knife to lightly trim edges, wiping blade clean between cuts to keep colours distinct.
5. Place long side of dough nearest to you and tightly roll up into a log, smoothing and straightening as you roll (lift parchment to help release red dough). Gently press edge of log together to seal. If log's diameter is thicker then 2 in., gently hand roll to lengthen. Wrap log in plastic wrap and chill until firm, approx. 2 hours or overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350 F. Slice log into 1/4 in. thick rounds, wiping blade clean between cuts. Set about 1 in. apart on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, until firm but not browned. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.